Friday, May 23, 2008

A clear and present danger

Jay Ackroyd at Eschaton comments on the right wing emails that permeate our small town culture and marvels that nobody in the mainstream press (and I'd add Democratic party) casts any kind of light on these pervasive hate memes or who creates and disseminates them. I've marveled at that myself, but realize that the Moose is not the Country Club and nobody with a college degree gives a fuck what they think. Well, no liberal anyway. The conservatives not only care what they think, they actively shape what they think.

I recently got two of those virulent emails that complimented each other. The first was about how all Muslims are scum. The second was about how Obama hates whitey. You can put two and two together. Just kidding. No math skills required. The authors are happy to do all the adding and subtracting, and thinking, for you.

The first is from one "Lieutenant General Chuck Pitman." The good "Lieutenant General" is sorry about a lot of things. But primarily he is sorry that Muslims are so evil and that we don't kill a whole lot more of them:

I am sorry that the U. S. A. has to step in and be the biggest financial supporter of poverty stricken Arabs while the insanely wealthy Arabs blame the USA for all their problems.

I am sorry that our troops die to free more Arabs from the gang rape rooms and the filling of mass graves of dissidents of their own making.

I am sorry we don't drop a few dozen Daisy cutters on Fallujah.

It goes on:
I am sorry Michael Moore is American; he could feed a medium sized village in Africa .

I am sorry the Barack Hussein Obama may be elected president of the United States when he doesn't have a clue on how to be a strong Commander-in-chief in a world filled with Muslim extremists who will do whatever it needs to do to destroy the lives of civilized people while killing innocent men, women and children in order to bring a change that is beneficial to all Islamic terrorists worldwide.

You get the picture. No? The second email elucidates:
From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother’s race.'
'
From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

We can laugh at this crap, but it has a ridiculous amount of influence on a significant number of people in this country.

And yes, the media should tell the story. And more importantly, the Democratic party, or some organization, should set up their own viral email network to counter it. It's not necessary to make up ridiculous shit about the conservatives. They really are a danger to both our national security and livelihoods. It's not a matter of conjecture. You can see it on the fucking scoreboard. Plain as day.