Friday, March 09, 2007

Random note from the cave

You may not know this about me. I admit it’s a bit embarrassing, and it may even be true. I have very good reason to believe that I am the last person in the continental United States who doesn’t have cable tv.

Now I usually count that as a good thing and tonight I was reminded of why. I went out to a happy hour after work and ended up in one of those bars where there is no possible place you can sit that is not facing a television, and this one was tuned to Lou Dobbs on CNN.

My memory of Dobbs was from the old days when news was more news and less entertainment and he was just another grave gray personage reporting the doings of the day’s market. I’d read that he was now a right wing nut case, but this was the first time I’d seen him since the devolution. Fortunately, the sound was off, but it was obvious from his pinched angry face that he was a Nutzi propagandist. So I was a bit surprised when the headline read “Iraq Plan already a Failure?” Well, duh, I thought, but I didn’t expect a prominent right wing nut case to state the obvious, even as a question. But then the graphic changed to “Democrat’s Iraq Plan already a Failure.” Not even a question mark. Cable? You can have it.